Understand Your Stormwater Discharge Permitting and Pollution Prevention Planning Requirements!
Discharges of stormwater from certain industrial activities and construction sites are subject to environmental permitting requirements. Understanding when permits are needed, how to obtain one, how to develop a stormwater pollution prevention plan, and effective implementation techniques is critical to maintaining compliance with this strictly enforced regulatory program.
Great Program. The breakdown of the stormwater program was excellent. Materials provided covered a wide range of topics and broadened my knowledge. Would certainly recommend this class!
– Liz Sauer, MAARNG – Environmental
The Stormwater Compliance Manager™ course is ideal for individuals responsible for managing stormwater permitting or developing and implementing a stormwater pollution prevention (SWPP) plan.
This unique course addresses the regulatory and management issues related to stormwater discharges under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES). The course is presented in a series of well-structured training modules, exercises, and open discussions to keep the instruction interesting and enjoyable. Course handout materials form a useful desk book for later reference.
Program hit the important bullet points. [Written materials] were great. The choice of reference material and SWPPP examples were great illustrations to items to look for and correct.
– Clint Beck, Freeport McMoRan
If you have an SWPP plan, you are encouraged to bring a copy to class, along with a copy of the applicable federal/state permit, so your plan can be reviewed by the class and instructor and an action plan developed to bring your plan into full compliance.
Very satisfied with the program. Overall, a good amount of information was presented. The workshops were particularly helpful to understanding the course topics.
– Michelle Lyman, US Army
You will become qualified to lead stormwater pollution prevention permitting, plan development and improvement, and implement effective compliance strategies.
Topics Covered Include:
- Stormwater pollution prevention regulations
- Clean Water Act
- Water pollution and its effects
- Water Pollution Control History
- Water Quality Standards
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) and permitting
- Stormwater overview
- Stormwater regulation development
- Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4s) Background
- MS4 permitting requirements
- Municipal stormwater management programs
- Stormwater discharges from construction sites
- Construction site permitting requirements and NPDES
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans for construction sites
- Best management practices for constructions sites
- Site maintenance, stabilization, and inspections
- Notices of termination
- Common compliance deficiencies
- Industrial stormwater discharges
- Common sources of pollution
- Industrial stormwater permitting applicability
- No exposure exclusions and certification form
- Individual vs. general industrial stormwater permits
- Multi-sector general permits
- Monitoring and sampling requirements
- How to collect samples
- Monitoring compliance requirements
- Preparing to monitor stormwater discharges
- Conducting required monitoring
- Potential sampling problems
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPPs)
- Developing a SWPPP
- Identification of potential pollutant sources
- Selecting control measures and best management practices
- Inspections under SWPPPs
- SWPPP record retention requirements
- Common SWPPP violations
- Selecting best management practices
- Examples of recommended best management practices (BMP)
- BMP inspection tips
- Exercise – virtual facility tour
- Exercise – SWPPP critique
Take this course the same week as SPCC Compliance Manager