Practical and applied environmental chemistry for environmental professionals!
This “chemistry for non-chemists” course, developed by Dr. Denise Turner, does not require attendees to have any background in chemistry. Dr. Turner and William Spain have taught this course for nearly 20 years. Drawing on more than 50 years combined field expertise with chemicals, these two instructors provide simple, straightforward explanations of the chemistry behind important environmental topics.
I found this course [to be] just what I was looking for. I am a non-chemist working in the Regulated Environmental Arena. It was a good overview and most importantly, tied it to the real world.
– Rick Hartman, Exelon Nuclear
Case studies and real world examples are used throughout the course to make the chemistry of everyday life, both at home and at work, more understandable. Attending this course will improve your ability to comprehend key data found in material safety data sheets, laboratory analytical reports, and environmental assessments.
Great [written course] materials. Book was very organized.
It was easy to follow and provided very detailed information.
Where were these two [instructors] when I took Chemistry in college?!
I learned a lot and they made Chemistry make sense!
Topics Covered Include:
- Material safety data sheets
- Chemical compatibility/reactivity
- Organic compounds
- Sampling and analysis
- Chemical reactions, when and why they occur
- Waste treatment
- Nuclear chemistry and radioactivity
- Chemical measurements (metric units, PPM, PPB)
The science behind many global environmental problems is also explained, including:
- Climate change/global warming/global dimming
- Ozone depletion/smog/acid rain/NOx
- Biofuels/fossil fuels/nuclear power
- Wastewater treatment
- PCBs, CFCs, DDT, dioxins, halogenated solvents
- The Pacific Garbage Patch/Gulf of Mexico dead zone
- The potential hazards of plastics
Our Continuing Education Matrix provides a summary of current professional certification credits, maintenance points, and CEUs awarded for Institute courses.